Sunday, December 7, 2008

An interview with 31Summers

This week's featured artist from the ACE team on Etsy is Dana of 31Summers. She describes herself as a very eclectic crafter and enjoys making all kinds of things. Dana currently has jewelry, magnets, and baby bibs in her shop, but she says you never know what else you'll find!Is there a story behind your shop name?

I have been creative all my life and when you are like that at some point you start to believe it when people say, "you should sell your stuff". So when I was 31 I decided to open shop. My last name is Summers so at that point I had lived 31Summers…

What made you decide to open your own shop?

I needed a way to support my habit of buying new supplies. My goal when I started was to make enough to buy more supplies.

What is your favorite material to use?

I have so many, at this point wire and beads are my favorites. I also sew and fabric is an addiction as well!

Talk briefly about your favorite item:

My favorite item in my shop at this time would have to be the two bracelets in my "Curls and Balloons" series, I plan to make many more of these.

What are your creative inspirations?

My inspirations come from all over, I may see something in a magazine and make it my own. Lots of times I just pick up the wire and start bending or see a color scheme and throw all those beads in a basket and start stringing. My girls are also a great inspiration, they are always coming to me asking if I can make this or that. Between all of us we can usually figure out how to make it work.

Are you a crafter full time or part time?

I am a crafter part time, I have a full time job an animal clinic. It is one of the most rewarding careers you could ask for. If you are having a bad day all you have to do is walk into the back and pick up a kitten or puppy, instant peace for me!

How do you find the time to create?

My girls and husband are so very supportive of me, if I come home and have creative energy to burn, they will take care of dinner and come in my sewing room and talk while I work. I have some of my best conversations with my daughters in the craft room. I also am a night owl, so usually after everyone is asleep I craft.

Do you have a blog or website?
http://dana.blogs.com

Tell me any other interesting things about yourself you'd like for me to include in your article:

I am a very eclectic crafter, I often joke that I have Craft ADD, I jump from one thing to the next. If you will check out my blog and Flickr pictures you will also see that I love mosaic. I did my Grandmother's front porch steps!!!!!!!! Check them out in the "Other Projects" photo album. I also teach classes at my local bead shop here in town and that helps with supply cost as well. I also meet so many great people there. It is my new favorite hangout.

No comments: