Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Featured seller - DreamrKate


We are proud to have DreamrKate as our featured seller this week. Kate is from Modesto, CA and has been a member on Etsy since 2006 and started selling late last year.

What is your specialty and what drew you to it?
I don’t know that any one thing is my specialty. I do what I love and sometimes that’s sewing, sometimes painting, and at the moment it’s pottery or ceramics, whichever you like to call it. I first put my hands in clay when I took a class when I was pregnant with my now 26-year old son. I didn’t have access to work with clay again until maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I took ceramics classes at the local junior college, then another couple of independent study classes and just found myself drawn to having a lump of clay in my hand almost all the time, just fiddling with it until it morphed into something I really like. Sometimes I start with an idea but I found that even though I sit down to make something specific, it doesn’t always turn out that way. More often than not the piece morphes into something totally different. For instance, I really wanted to make a bird cookie jar, a nice big fat one – well it turned into a big fat round pot with a branch across the top full of birds. I decided that it was a really cool kind of “frog” – beautiful with flowers, and the branch serves to hold them up, but also looks lovely with nothing in it.


Pick one item you have created and provide link either from your shop. My funny ‘bird boxes’ are my newest fun thing.
What inspired the “birth” of this item?
Who knows? I love birds, and I love funky. And I really like random things put together. I’m a bit of a pack rat and I love containers to keep my little treasury of tiny paper clips, nails, screws, or bobby pins, you know, things that need to be corralled.

Does this item have any personal significance to you?
I love birds. I used to tell one of my sons that all the birds were his – yes, all of them. Of course he was three, but still what an awesome concept – to think that all the birds in the world are yours, even for just a little time.

What is your favorite part of the process of creating your item?
I usually wake up with an idea and can’t wait to start playing around with it. And it doesn’t matter whether it’s a clay thing, wood or when I’m in sewing mode, even my patches. I have the basic idea in my head and I just sort of go for it. I mean, there is no wrong way to create art, right? They start out a little bit crude, but as soon as they start looking “like” something, it’s fascinating to watch the personality come out.

Please briefly describe a workday in your “studio” and how you created this item. Hmmm… a typical work day…. I’m not sure that I’ve actually hit a “typical” work day yet. I probably start out like most everyone else, with coffee and go through the email, grab toast or something and pack things up that need to be shipped or get started with a lump of clay. It’s not a hard and fast process and when I get busier I’ll have to be more organized, but for now I’m just sort of still getting used to not punching a clock. I can seriously go the whole day lost in just trying to make an idea I had, for instance, I made a very small ceramic box and wanted a whole branch of birds going through the roof, so I did that, but it took forever and the birds had to be so small and so did the branch, and then I broke it a couple of times so I had to start over, but even though it was tedious, I liked the idea of it, and it’s a tiny treasure. I don’t really want to have things that people can just pump out, I’d like to know that someone put some real work into something that I want to buy or collect so I want to do the same thing. I can work well into the night too, if I’ve gotten distracted during the day by friends or something. It’s nice and quiet and if I’m wide awake, what’s better than doing something you love to do?

If this item is part of a special line that you do, has there been an evolution in your process? For example, if we were to compare the first one you made to this one, what differences would there be, if any?
As far as clay work goes, I started making bowls and some small dishes, some houses, and when I’m looking at other ceramicists I realize what I can do and what I can’t do. I’ve seen absolutely amazing work on Etsy. There are people who do bowls or vessels so very much better than I do, so I’ll leave that to them and just buy their work, but I like to do freeform kind of things, like my birds for instance, and I think they get better as I go. I certainly hope so anyway. What I really love is that with art, whether it’s clay, fabric, or wood, you can really play around with your ideas and just see what comes of it. I’ve got so many more things that are going to come to my shop!
Please visit DreamrKate and check out many more of her fantastic creations!

45 comments:

MissSonnyaK said...

I love your stuff! I'm the proud owner of one of your little feathered friends. I just love him, he sits on my desk and watches me work!

Sonnya

UberArt said...

A very talented artisan!

Newfangled said...

I love all the bird themed items in your shop. It's very fun to look at all the different variations :)

MsChris1161 said...

Great interview!

ShielaRadke011 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention..........................

健康保寶 said...

很用心的blog,推推哦 ........................................

book said...

77p2p影片區hi5 tv 免費影片xxx383美女寫真aa一夜情台中援交妹視訊甜心寶貝直播貼片av成人網g8mm 視訊壞朋友論壇視訊美女msvt中部人聊天室視訊網愛聊天室網路援交168論壇辣妹貼圖新竹援交38ga片下載全國最大俱樂部1007視訊xvideo打飛機專用網哈尼視訊援交友aio34c蒼井空影片下載avdvd69性殿dodo豆豆聊天室色美眉部落格 2,視訊主播脫衣秀台南視訊月宮貼圖情趣 商品拓網交友-情色視訊拓網交友情色視訊免費視訊美女,情人視訊網自拍線上av免費影片一葉情貼影禁區kiss168一葉情貼影色影cu成人bt色站girl5320cu成人bt色片打飛機專用網

建霖 said...

免費成人漫免費成人文成人色圖片免費成人影騙免費成人電影觀看現上成人影片現上免費現上免費a片現上免費影片現上情色片現上影片甜心寶貝片區甜心寶貝區情愛貼片情愛卡通情愛小說情色成人站情色的影片情色按摩免費線上看情色圖貼區情色圖網站情色熊貓貼圖情色網路遊戲情色聞學情色影片片情色影片放映區情典獄長情侶做愛片情侶影片線上看甜心寶貝貼區上班族聊天室 免費a片下載 777成人區免費成人影片

惠蘋 said...

要持續更新下去喲!!期待~~........................................

王美娟 said...

若對自己誠實,日積月累,就無法對別人不忠了。........................................

羅惠玲 said...

Variety is the very spice of life.......................................................

火芬 said...

It's great!!.............................................

ParisH said...

人必須心懷希望,才會活的快樂,日子才過得充實,有意義,有朝氣,有信心。........................................

don1012nym_nicks said...

忙碌的一天終於過了,來看看文章轉換心情,也幫你加個油哦~ ..................................................

淑娟 said...

廢話不多,祝你順心~^^........................................

Anja021netteC_021Restrepo1 said...

沒有友情,人生何樂?.............................................

韋于倫成 said...

淫慾淫亂淫婦淫妹淫叫淫水淫女情慾情色做愛限制級波霸口交18禁貼圖寫真視訊援交露點爆乳潮吹裸體裸照裸女愛愛無碼尋夢視訊聊天a漫a片a圖一夜情一葉情人妻

麗卿 said...

人生最大的榮耀,不是永遠不敗,而是屢仆屢戰..................................................

CourtneyR俊 said...

來給你加油打氣!!!保重!!!........................................

又陽 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。..................................................

SadeRa盈君iford0412 said...

人沒有朋友,有如地球上沒有陽光。......................................................

許美玉 said...

出遊不拘名勝,有景就是好的..................................................................

宛齊陳 said...

支持你!!!期待你的更新!!!相信一定會更好!!!!.................................................................

王瑞 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

江婷 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。......................................................................

于庭 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

彥佳dk茹胡陳lil雨 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

宥妃宥妃 said...

每次看完你的文章,總是回味許久,要經常發表喔。..................................................................

蕙春蕙春 said...

喜歡看大家的文章,每篇都是一個故事,都是一種心情~~祝大家開心愉快............................................................

許紀廷 said...

有用的才華若不用,便如同日晷儀放在陰暗之中............................................................

陳佑發 said...

Readiness is all.............................................................

錢靜怡錢靜怡錢靜怡 said...

在你一無所有的時候 是誰在陪伴你 他便是你最重要的人............................................................

彥安 said...

Practice what you preach.............................................................

陳佑發 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。......................................................................

王彥李威昌霖 said...

Make hay while the sun shines...................................................

ToryO_Vis建銘 said...

分享是件快樂的事!!感謝您用心的文章!! ............................................................

承王蓁 said...

Lets cross the bridge when we come to it............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

Quality is better than quantity...................................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

臨淵羨魚,不如退而結網。......................................................

淑君韓淑君韓淑君韓 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債............................. ....................................

小草 said...

絕不要羞於承認自己不知道的事。..................................................

阿袁袁袁袁華 said...

做些小善事,說些愛的字句,世界更快樂。..................................................

建枫 said...

回應是最大的支持^^y~~~甘吧嗲............................................................

惠NorrisBradwell041花 said...

寂寞又無聊 看到你的BLOG 加油喔!!..................................................